The difference is in the details. When I look at classically appointed fly rods from the past and present, those that are the most attractive to me are the simplest in nature. First and foremost, rods must be built on a blank that is exceptional for fishing. Components and finish must be of the highest quality. These rods often feature minute details not noticed from more than a few feet, or even inches, away.
This is what I strive for in every rod I craft: an understated elegance that compliments the blank upon which it is built and a fit/finish only achieved through patience and experience.
Each rod build includes the following:
- Blank by the likes of Steffen, Kabuto, Morgan, Ijuin, Epic, McFarland, etc…
- Shop made reel seat hardware (C&R, slide bands only) of polished aluminum, bronze, or nickel silver; shop-modified Lemke for locking
- Custom turned reel seat insert from select hardwood finished to a semi-gloss or gloss
- Flor grade cork grip
- Shop made winding check
- Shop made hookkeeper (as requested)
- Mildrum or Arguello stripping guide (add $30); Snake Brand snake guides
- Silk rod wrappings
- Shop made, precision fit metal ferrule rings
- Unique “clip top” overwrapped tip-top design
- Shop-sewn fitted rod bag
- Brass capped tube w/ distinctive “Leiderman Rods” brass identification badge
Pricing (as of 8/17)
- Steffen, Kabuto, Ijuin 3pc. starting at $675
- Morgan 2pc. starting at $850
- Swift-Epic 4pc. starting at $750
- Build on your own blank? starting at $450 (2pc) $495 (3+ piece)
Shipping to lower 48 via USPS Priority (+$20)
International shipping quotes available upon request.
PA residents must add 6% sales tax