The difference is in the details. When I look at classically appointed fly rods from the past and present, those that are the most attractive to me are the simplest in nature. First and foremost, rods must be built on a blank that is exceptional for fishing. Components and finish must be of the highest quality. These rods often feature minute details not noticed from more than a few feet, or even inches, away.
This is what I strive for in every rod I craft: an understated elegance that compliments the blank upon which it is built and a fit/finish only achieved through patience and experience.
Each full custom rod build includes the following:
- Blank by the likes of Steffen, Kabuto, Morgan, Ijuin, Epic, McFarland, etc…
- Shop made reel seat hardware (C&R, slide bands only) of polished aluminum, bronze, or nickel silver; shop-modified Lemke for locking
- Custom turned reel seat insert from select hardwood finished to a semi-gloss or gloss; cork available
- Flor grade cork grip
- Shop made winding check
- Shop made hookkeeper (as requested)
- Mildrum stripping guide (Arguello agate add $30)
- Snake Brand snake guides (matched to hardware finish)
- Silk rod wrappings to compliment the blank, accents as needed to finish the “look”
- Shop made, precision fit metal ferrule rings
- Unique “clip top” over-wrapped tip-top design
- Shop-sewn fitted rod bag
- Brass capped tube w/ distinctive “Leiderman Rods” brass identification badge
Pricing (as of 2/23/19)
- Full custom build (see above) pricing for Epic, Steffen, McFarland, Ijuin, and Kabuto blanks start at $725.
- More spartan builds, similar to my stock rod configurations, are available by request on some blanks starting at $645. These include many of the hallmarks of my high-quality custom rods but omit additional details like ferrule rings, higher levels of machine work, additional wrap details, and brass tube/badge.
- Have a blank already stocked away? Contact me for a finishing quote.
- Stock rods are available from time to time. These are typically more price conscious and simple builds but retain the hallmarks of a high quality, custom-built rod. Please keep your eyes on the “Inventory” section for newly released rods or follow my social media accounts.
Shipping to lower 48 via USPS Priority (+$25)
International shipping quotes available upon request.
PA residents must add 6% sales tax (sorry.)